Saturday, October 10, 2009

I am my own Grandpa - The Final Chapter

Okay, before I finish up this year on my blog, I want to finish my final chapter on why I could be my own Grandpa.



Although my family might seem really screwed up to you...... just look at this face!  I thought that it was how everyone lived!  And no matter what happened..... looking back we had a lot of good times as well!


Remember that I talked about growing up with my husband, Gary's family? After his family moved to New Smyrna, I would spend weekends and some weeks in the summer, at their house. They had a home on Spruce Creek and the whole family enjoyed boating, fishing and hanging out there.


As young girls, Shirley (his sister) and I would drive their other sister, Barb, crazy. After their mother died, Barb became the woman of the house. We were always very close and loved spending time together. Their house was located quite far from town and nothing was within walking distance. Several times, we thought that we could walk to town. But, we never made it. We would either give up and walk back home or we would just wait for their father to come pick us up on his way home from work. Sometimes, we would ride into town in the morning with him and we would just hang out in town while he worked at the dry cleaning plant. There weren't a lot of things to do there, but, we made the most of the day. Rarely, we would go to a  a movie, but, mostly, we walked to the park and just hung out.

Looking back on it now, we did not give Barb much time to spend by herself. She always had the little "tag alongs" with her. And as you can imagine, when she got her drivers license and a car...... she became our chauffeur as well. We then started going to the beach to hang out. We thought that we were cool in her little yellow, Opal. Shirley and I went to the beach to play in the ocean. Barb and her friend, Sherry, went to look at the guys!


But, the weekends and holidays were always a busy time over there. Everyone would come and bring friends and family and we had a great time.  That is really how both Barb and Shirley met their husbands. Barb was first. David worked with a guy named Charlie. We were always amazed at his musical knowledge and loved to hear him play guitar and sing. After many visits, Charlie and Barb started dating and eventually married. They are still happily married today and live right around the corner from Gary and I. And although they never had any children of their own, they babysat for us and have always said that our boys are their boys!

As for Shirley, my mother's brother (my Uncle Dennis) spent time over there a lot. He became good friends with them and before you knew it..... Dennis and Shirley got married. As you might imagine, that did not go over very well with Shirley's brothers. After all, it was their baby sister and she was marrying someone that was 20 years her elder....... But, all in all, it worked out because they are still married today as well.


So, think about it..........when she married my Uncle, my sister-in-law became my Aunt and my Uncle became my brother-in-law.


I told you when I started that it was a crazy tale! But, keep in mind........ no one ever married a blood relative. So, I guess that makes us a little less like rednecks!

That's all for the grandpa saga.  But, I will post other childhood stories later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother & Mimi....I am a wife, proud mother of two wonderful men and Mimi to three beautiful granddaughters and one handsome grandson who amaze me with their ability to make me laugh!

Barbara's Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones