Saturday, April 18, 2009

Kids can make things go from bad to good.....

Today, I was on my way to Gary's shop. It's Saturday and he went in early to work on his 55 Chevy. I figured that I would stop at Burger King and pick up a couple of sandwiches for us to eat. The drive thru was lined up so I parked and went inside to order. Surely, the inside would be faster......I opened the door and good deal, there were only a couple of people in line. For once, I was right! Or so I thought....... The order went great, but, what can be hard about ordering 2 chicken sandwiches and 1 cheeseburger (the cheeseburger was for the dog who was with Gary). Then the waiting started......

I was growing madder by the minute and if I had not already paid, I would have just left. There was a woman and a little boy standing beside me. He caught my eye when he came in the front door with her as he was very cute, but chubby. I would guess that he was around 7 years old. (He reminded me of my little brother, Glen, when he was that age. Glen hates looking at pictures of him as a little boy as he too was on the chubby side.)

The minute the little boy got up to the counter, he started saying that he wanted 6 chicken nuggets, fries, a milkshake and don't forget the butterfinger pie! The woman he was with asked him if he could eat all of that and he said yes and then he asked her if he could play on the inside playground. She said that since she could see him from there that it would be okay. I watched him as he ran in the door and removed his shoes and socks and began playing.

I began to think of my mother and how she would have ordered that same meal for my brother and I, had we asked for it. After all, the diet could start tomorrow. Which is probably why Glen was heavy as a child. I was never heavy as a child, but, it caught up to me as an adult!

Then all of the sudden, he jumped down from the slide and came running out. There was such an urgency that I thought that something had happened to him. But, when he ran through the door he yelled "Maw Maw, a hummer", She laughed and said, "Where"? He pointed out the window and sure enough, there was a hummer making a turn at the intersection. He then laughed and said that he was winning now 10 to 6 and then ran back in to play. I had to laugh and told her that I used to play that with my sons. Only we were looking for Volkswagen's, not hummers! It made me think back to when my children were little and how the smallest things would make their day! I loved playing games with them, reading to them or just admiring their wild imaginations. Children are always full of energy and I believe that they keep you young, as long as your not afraid to act silly with them!

Then, my number was called and I realized that kids can make things go from bad to good in no time. That little boy had kept my mind busy and brought back a few memories while doing it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother & Mimi....I am a wife, proud mother of two wonderful men and Mimi to three beautiful granddaughters and one handsome grandson who amaze me with their ability to make me laugh!

Barbara's Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones